Thursday, November 12, 2009

Confessions of a Bookworm!


Today, when young people are asked about their hobbies, the usual answers are as follows. Playing computer games, watching movies, hanging out with friends and all sort of ‘cool’ stuff we love. Just as strange and common as it may sound, we like all of these activities because we feel like we are in a different place whenever we do it.

When you play Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection in your computer or PSP, you feel as if you’re Lili, Asuka or Sergei Dragunov or whoever character you are playing. You even shout and make funny faces of victory or defeat when you kick your opponent or vice versa. The same way when you’re watching Twilight, it’s as if Edward Cullen is saying those romantic words to you and you’re melting in the cinema seat. It’s as if you’re battling another ravenous vampire who instinctively wants to hurt your vulnerable girlfriend and you stuff handfuls of popcorn in your mouth after another.
I personally have to say that I also enjoy those activities, but making them my passion and hobby is another thing. My main and personal hobby is reading. So your reactions might sound like “whaaaat…?” or “Huh.” or even “Ew.” but I tell you that if I can think of anything that I’d love to do better than reading books, then I won’t even know myself.

I’m telling you this, not because I want you to know who I am. I tell you this because I want to share with you the power of literature and how it can make a great impact in your life. I still remember the first book I ever read. It was a small pocket book of Snow white and the seven dwarfs, not the Disney version though. I read that the Queen disguised as three different characters. The first time, the queen was a woman, selling colorful ribbons and sashes. Snow White let her tie a pink velvet ribbon around her neck to see how it would look. Then the queen in disguise pulled the ribbon too tight, Snow white was suffocated and fell to the ground. When the dwarfs found her on the floor, they untied the ribbon so she could breathe and by the morning, she was well again... (I know. It’s impossible but it’s a fairytale anyway!) The queen disguised herself once more as a kind old lady selling combs. When Snow white “…ran the comb to her long black ebony hair, she nearly died…” for the comb was poisonous.

Then, as the traditional version, the queen’s next disguise was the poor old woman, selling apples. So then, Snow white took a bite. The dwarfs found her lifeless a little later that evening. I’m sure seldom of you heard of that version of the fairytale but I’d like to share to you how I felt while reading that book as a child. I felt as if I was being deprived from oxygen as the queen tied the ribbon around Snow white’s waist.

But of course, I did not pass out! I felt really uneasy when she combed her hair with the poisonous brush. I imagined it was really acidic and it burned right on her scalp and some of her hair came out of their roots, though the book didn’t say anything like that. The weird part for me was when the Prince came for Snow White’s grave, and when his servants were carrying the coffin, the morsel of apple fell out from Snow white’s mouth and she was alive in an instant.
I think some of you might refer to the story as dumb, stupid and absurd. As for me, these stories do not teach little children idiotic facts and incidents that they would believe that dead people can live again, once a piece of apple falls out from their mouth. And also, I am not telling you to go and buy a book of Snow white and the seven dwarfs. Oh, no. I just want to say that I believe these stories teach us how to work with our imaginations and test how far we could analyze the story by using our own thoughts and perceptions. Challenging your mind’s eye instead of callusing your fingers with computer buttons and controllers is so much better and more worthwhile, I really believe that.

I’ve read too many books, I lost count already. But I know I’d never get tired of reading those legendary stories that would mark in my mind all my life. I do not use this hobby as something to brag about. I use this as my strength and comfort zone when I need to get away from the loud growl of uncertainties in my life as a teenager. When I enter this incredible fantasy world, I feel like nothing could go wrong. But living in a fantasy world is never sensible. Using the pleasure I get from reading is enough for me to face the realities of my life and consider them as my strength and confidant.


I think most people would prefer spending their money on overpriced movie tickets or hours of unlimited computer slots. But if you could just try to use the money for something extraordinary, then go to the nearest bookstore and buy a novel or if you’re thrifty, spend your time in the school library.
You might just find another way to spend your weekends by then.
Read Hearty!

No comments:

Post a Comment